How to Make Yarn Hair Falls

Back in May I had the pleasure of dancing with these lovely ladies for ShimmyMob, a worldwide flash mob belly dance event whose goal was to raise awareness and funds for women & children's all over the globe. My local group danced to raise funds for ACTS of Prince William County.

How to Make Yarn Hair Falls
(That's me, first person in the front row.)

It was so much fun meeting new dancers, and I got a ton of complements on my hair, which was an experiment in DIY. I had made myself some hair falls out of yarn (what else?), and while they were super easy to make, they looked quite sophisticated. Here's a better picture of them being modeled on Little Lovely.

How to Make Yarn Hair Falls

Little Lovely has chin-length brown hair, so as you can see, these hair falls are a great way to add the illusion of length and color to any hairstyle.

A couple of my fellow Gypsies asked me to show them how to make them, and coincidentally Little Lovely has been begging me for a blonde hair fall, so we got together last weekend to make them. Here's the full tutorial.

Materials

  • 1 skein of yarn in your hair color: thick yarn is best; look for a big number 5 or 6 on the label, which indicates its thickness
  • 1 skein of yarn in a contrasting color (or colors): look for yarns with fun textures for this one
  • Assorted silk flowers, feathers, beads, and/or sequins for embellishment
  • Scissors
  • Wire hair combs (like these)
  • Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
  • Needle & thread (depending on your chosen embellishments)


Directions
1. Determine the point on your head where you intend to wear the comb and measure down to the point where you want the hair fall to end--then double this length. Cut several pieces of this length in both your hair color and contrasting color yarns.

2. To attach the yarn to the comb, fold it in half like so. Note: To save time and make the falls more full, I recommend attaching two pieces of yarn at the same time. If you are using two different types of yarn, fold one piece of each together. In my example, I'm using using one type of yarn, so I'm folding two pieces of the same color together.

How to Make Yarn Hair Falls

3. Insert the fold of the yarn between two of the teeth on the comb so that you have a little loop.

How to Make Yarn Hair Falls

4. Next, insert the ends of the yarn into that loop.

How to Make Yarn Hair Falls

5. Now pull the ends of the yarn so that the loop cinches down around the comb. The yarn should be firmly attached to the comb.

How to Make Yarn Hair Falls

6. Repeat steps 2-5 until the comb is completely covered.

How to Make Yarn Hair Falls

7. And now for the fun part! Use your hot glue gun to add flowers and feathers as desired, or string beads on various strands. If the holes in the beads are too small for the yarn to fit through, you may need to attach them with needle and thread instead.

I left my hair falls loose, but Little Lovely wanted me to braid hers so she could look like everyone's favorite queen.

How to Make Yarn Hair Falls

8. To wear them, simply pull your hair into a ponytail or two and push the combs into the top. For a single ponytail, I'd recommend using two combs for maximum fullness (I used two combs for the braid).

How to Make Yarn Hair Falls