We love the look of pom poms on children's items, but we haven't made any in a while because the old fashioned way of doing it with cardboard discs can be quite tedious. That's why we're so excited to have found these nifty pom pom makers from Clover (now available at Crochet Kitten's Bazaar!).
These little gadgets take all the tedium out of making pom poms. They have little arms that fold out to make winding a breeze, and they come in all sorts of sizes so you can make just about any size pom pom you want! Here's how they work.
1. Decide what size pom pom you want to make and use the corresponding size pom pom maker. Fold out the arms like so (there are two pairs of arms for a total of four).
2. Wrap the yarn around one pair of arms until they are completely covered. Repeat with the other pair of arms.
3. Fold the arms back into the pom pom maker.
4. Using the groove between the pair as a guide, use sharp scissors to cut the yarn along the circumference.
Next you'll need to tie the cut yarn strands together. Cut a 12-inch length of yarn. You'll notice a third groove between the cut strands of yarn. This is where you'll tie them together.
5. Tie the long length of yarn through that third groove, cinching tightly.
6. Now separate the two halves of the pom pom maker.
7. Trim any stray ends if needed and admire your perfect pom pom!