Book Review: Curvy Girl Crochet


Author: Mary Beth Temple
Price: $22.95 (buy here)
Skill Level: Beginner - Intermediate

Overview
“One thing I’ve learned from years of designing patterns: If you put 50 plus-sized women in a room, no two of them will be plus-sized in quite the same way.” - Mary Beth Temple

If only all clothing designers were aware of this fact! But aren’t we lucky as crocheters to have a designer who has come to this conclusion? In her new book, Curvy Girl Crochet, Mary Beth Temple reveals all the tricks to make your crochet garments enhance your figure, including techniques for creating drape and the importance of gauge relating to the final fit. And as expected, the book includes 25 fashion-forward patterns written specifically for sizes L-5X.

Techniques
While the crochet techniques used in the patterns are pretty standard in regards to the stitches used and piecing together (more advanced techniques include bead crochet and blocking), Ms. Temple goes a step further to help the crocheter understand how to take a pattern from “cookie cutter” to tailored. She explains how to pick a pattern to flatter your shape, how to adapt patterns to fit your specific shape, how to tweak a finished project to improve the fit if it didn’t turn out quite right, and more.

Patterns
As Ms. Temple teasingly points out in the intro, this is often the part of the book most crocheters are the most excited about, and with good reason! Of the 25 patterns featured, 18 are wearable garments (the rest being flattering accessories), and all 18 are lovely complements to the model’s figures. In a few cases, one doesn’t even notice that the model is plus-sized because the garment is that flattering. Our favorites are the Essential Pullover, which looks to be easily modifiable; the Wrapt Top, a gorgeous ballet-style sweater; and the Skirt the Issue skirt, which would be flattering on any shape.

The Animator’s Wife says...
If you’ve ever had trouble finding crochet clothing patterns in plus sizes, this is the book for you. Not only does it include several beautiful designs, it also gives an invaluable lesson on how to adapt any crochet pattern to suit your shape. The rich folk in Hollywood say their secret to looking good is to have all their clothing tailored to their measurements. As a crocheter, you are your own tailor, so you might as well know the secrets for making a perfect fit. Then you can really love everything you make!

Want to win a copy of Curvy Girls? Enter our giveaway! We'll accept entries from now until September 18, 2012 at 11:59p EDT. One lucky winner will be announced on September 19! There are three ways to enter:
1. Leave a comment below telling us what you love about your curves.
2. Send a tweet telling what you love about your curves and use the hashtag #crochetcurves. Be sure to include a link to this post in the tweet!
3. Leave a comment on our Facebook fanpage telling us what you love about your curves.

Good luck! May the curvy girl win!

15 comments:

  1. I would love to win this prize... I love that I look like a woman.... I may not be a super model I have birthed to babies and there are some wonderful cushy hugs to be given ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CrochetKitten,
    I would love this book for 2 reasons: 1)I have a plus-sized mom and sister and it would be neat to make something for them. 2)I have a regular sized body, but plus-sized breasts. (Thank you, God). It would be neat to learn how to modify patterns to create more room for them, and accentuate the rest of my body at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I love about my curves is that they are mine and they took me ages to accept and love, but i wouldn't change them for anything. Plus, my boobs are pretty awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my curves. Whatever other body issues I may have, I love my boobs & my butt! Anything that can help accentuate the positives is a good thing, so this book looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that my curves are squishy, comfortable, and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my curvy body because it's mine. It supports me every second of the day, it keeps on going. My hugs are soft and comfortable, my lap a snug place for my little one to curl up on or my honey to rest is head. -This book looks awesome. I'd love to win it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my curves because I got them being a mommy.. now I'm a granny and my sweet grandson truly prefers my softness to curl up on to go to sleep.. you can't beat being a granny..

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book is on my wish list! My curves are part of who I am. I'm a woman, not a 12-year-old boy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Real women have curves. Curves are for loving, nurturing, childbearing, and working. Curves are a sign of strength and endurance. Plus, I don't look like I am going to blow away in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! You're the lucky winner! Please send an email to selena k {at} crochet kitten {dot} com and I'll get it right out to you.

      Delete
  10. What I love about my curves is how sexy I feel! "If you've got it, flaunt it" & I always try to make the best with what I have - Thanks for the chance to win this book - customizing some tops for myself would be fantastic!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like my curves because they're real.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my curves, I love being round instead of skinny and boned.
    And I would love to wear my own crocheted clothes, but I haven't had enough nerve to try something, so the book would be very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just gotten to the point where I am starting to be ok with my curves. Too much time wasted worrying about being skinny! I love to make my own crochet clothing items! This is a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to Joanna Coffey Burkett! You're the lucky winner! Hope you enjoy your prize.

    ReplyDelete