Traveling Kitten Visits the Crochet Coral Reef

My Dear Osiris and Selena,


Whilst out in my meanderings, I happened upon the most fantastical of creations I have ever seen. It was a coral reef, but it was completely crocheted by hand!




I thought The Animator's Wife would be particularly interested in this. If you've not heard of the Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef, it's quite fascinating. It combines mathematical theories with marine biology and fibre art. I didn't quite understand the science behind it, but apparently by using certain algorithms found in nature, the crocheter is quite easily able to create these forms that are found under the sea, without the help of a crochet pattern.




The project is quite massive, with crocheters from around the world contributing to it. Why, I spent the whole day exploring it and I still do not believe I have seen the entirety of it. And the reef itself has been traveling the world so that all may marvel at its beauty.




I am enclosing the book Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes by Daina Taimina. Ms. Taimina is the mathematician who discovered the hyperbolic crochet technique and made the crochet coral reef possible. I thought The Animator's Wife might fancy it.


Best Regards,

Traveling Kitten

2 comments:

  1. I saw the crochet reef on Ted.com. The lady did a talk about IT and the sums and maths and stuff. Wow - what a cool place for Travelling Kitten to visit!! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. vindaloo meowDecember 24, 2013

    I too saw the reef, and was in total awe of it! So clever and wonderfully beautiful. I saw it in a museum in Iowa, I'd love to see it again.

    ReplyDelete