An Update on Things...

I promised an update a couple of weeks back, so here's what's been going on in our neck of the woods:

New House
The Animator and His Wife have bought a new house with plenty of room for their growing family, plus a craft room for The Animator's Wife! Craft pron pics to follow once she gets it set up, but right now her main concern is decorating the baby's room. There's also a lovely, big backyard for The Dog and The Terror, and I'm told at some point we're going to get a cat fence so Osiris and I can go out and play. The move and home buying process are what's been taking up most of her time these last few months. Not much time for crocheting.

Grampo Moves In
In anticipation of the new baby, Grampo has moved in with us from Colorado to help play baby-sitter. He gets the whole basement to himself. My cousin Little Sunshine called him "the trollman." Unfortunately he had a minor stroke earlier this week, which caused a cardiac episode a few days later, and he ended up in the hospital for two days. The doctors say it was a severe reaction to a new medication he had been given. He's feeling much better now, thank goodness, but will probably still need a few days of rest before he's 100 percent again.

Dr. Crazy
The Animator's Wife came home in tears from her prenatal check-up yesterday. It was the first time it had occurred to her to ask her doctor how she felt about natural childbirth. Dr. Crazy is vehemently opposed to the idea. She pretty much told The Animator's Wife she was crazy for even considering it--that no woman could ever possibly do it without an epidural because it was simply too painful. There was no medical reason why she shouldn't try, just that it would be painful.

The Animator's Wife has spoken to many friends and family, including her own mother, who have given birth without pain medication, so it just doesn't make sense that Dr. Crazy would tell her it can't be done. In addition, The Animator and His Wife have been studying the Bradley Method so they could prepare for the inevitable pain of childbirth. They are determined to do this naturally if there is no medical reason not to; therefore, with less than 8 weeks to go in her pregnancy, The Animator's Wife is scrambling to find a new OB that is willing to let her try it her own way.

So please forgive us if we don't reply to your email the same day it is sent. And thank you for all your patience with the mess that is CrochetKitten.com. I know it may be hard for some of you to understand how we could go months without fixing anything, but there really are some more urgent things that need our attention right now. And at 7 months pregnant, The Animator's Wife tires out a lot more easily than she used to. We are all looking forward to September, when (hopefully) all the craziness ends and our new family begins.

12 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 08, 2011

    I had 2 of my 3 naturally. It can be done, yes its painful, but if youre prepared(which it sounds like you are) it is manageable. And there are also other pain managing drugs/techniques other than an epidural. Good luck! Its your body, they cant do anything that you dont agree to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Crazy is, indeed, crazy. Good for The Animator's Wife for standing up for what she wants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6 weeks to the end of my first pregnancy, I switched OB's. The one I began with left me feeling like the loser, junior high girl wanting the cool girl to like her. She belittled my birth plan and desire for natural childbirth.
    The new doc was amazing, and I had a completely natural childbirth *incidentally borrowing heavily from the Bradley method!*
    You have already demonstrated that you are paying attention to your body, good job, you are built to do this, your body knows what to do. Your job is to get out of the way and let it do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 09, 2011

    I agree with the other posters; you can definitely do it! I took Bradley classes before my first child too, and essentially had all 3 of them naturally. Really, with my first I ended up needing pitocin to start labor and keep it going, but I never had pain medication for any of them, even when with my first I went from 5 cm to 10 cm in 40 min.! My 3rd was sunny side up and it was incredibly painful when the doctor turned her manually, BUT I did it, I never regretted it, and I felt very powerful when it was all over :-) Remember the relaxation exercises w/Bradley; that really did help me. If you're tense and afraid it definitely will hurt more. Keep practicing that and blessings to you as your family grows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had an induced hospital labor with a CNM with my first--no epidural, shot of Nubain in my IV though. One of the nurses actually commented to me that you can tell the babies whose moms don't have an epidural, because they are more alert/have better color/breathe better. I had a totally natural home water birth with a CPM with my second--after moving cross-country at 6 months pregnant. If I ever have another, I'll do the home birth again, it was a wonderful, empowering, surprisingly not horrifically painful experience :) It can be done, and you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Glad you are taking charge of your own pregnancy. A friend of mine had all 3 of her kids at home with a mid-wife. A Dr was available if needed but all 3 popped out with no problems. One was a water birth. She said she would totally do it again. She swears it is the only way to go....peaceful music, low lights, and nature's way. Go for it.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Crazy really is crazy! How does he think women gave birth before epidurals? I would Google to see how many birthing centers are in your area, they are a wonderful option instead of hospitals and work with you. Many have a staff Doctor and/or Midwife on hand. Also I have noticed many hospitals have the option to have your birth with an in-house midwife, the hospital I have gone to for my clinical rotation in OB had a midwife who was wonderful on staff on the L&D floor.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJuly 11, 2011

    No one has the right to belittle someone else's decision especially if you are not in any medical danger if you go ahead.
    I am expecting a little one too - mid September! My third. All of us go thru different birth experience. It is never exactly as you planned it but that's life isn't it? Do it your way and you will never have any regrets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJuly 20, 2011

    This is directed to the Animator's Wife since I can't figure out how to email her directly: No kids of my own, but I say more power to you! I'm in a stitching group who just happened to have three pregnancies simultaneously. The twins from the hospital are ok, but needed the extra help from the hospital. The second set of twins was a home birth in a tub with a midwife (I dunno if that's Bradley or not), but they are fabulous and the mother is very happy about her decision. The third (should just be one baby this time, haha) is due THIS WEEK and is preparing a home birth/tub/midwife thing. Despite her OB absolutely hating the idea, it's her 5th and we're pretty sure she has this down by now. Don't let one doc's opinion stop you from making the educated decision yourself. I hope you have a WONDERFUL experience and I would hug a total stranger right now if I could. That I happened on this blog was not an accident. I truly wish the best for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJuly 25, 2011

    You know, I am six months pregnant (24 weeks) and I currently live in Japan.

    Dr. Crazy is really crazy considering every woman in Japan gives birth without the use of an epidural. It is *not* an option here and we are talking about a modernized, first world country like the United States.

    The Japanese do not feel that medication is necessary for childbirth and that it hinders the process more than it helps. They understand that child labor is difficult, but most women here have birth vaginally and without many complications. And before you go saying "Oh, they have small children.. no wonder they don't need an epidural!" let me inform you that you are wrong. The average weight of a newborn infant to a Japanese woman these days is about 10lbs. That is considered normal.

    It is 100% okay that you wish to have a natural birth (or as much of one as you can). Whomever said no one should be belittling you for your decision is correct. If you feel that is what is best for you and your baby, then you do it. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had my last baby at home because medical intervention in my first 2 births made the experience a nightmare. We had a water birth with music and candlelight and I had no pain. If she's afraid her OB will undermine her wishes, look into a midwife or a doula or both! A nurse-midwife is there for the safety of mom and the baby. A doula is there to make sure mom's wishes are adhered to without more pressure on mom or dad. She takes care of mom more than any of the other professionals... at least in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stacy,
    You are the mom and always remember "mom's know best!". You know what your body can handle. Mind over matter. If you believe you can deliver medicine free than you can.
    Best of Luck, Sweetie! Look forward to the birth announcement.

    ReplyDelete