Loading...

iPhone Cozy

The Animator's Wife has come up with a solution to her Kindle desires. Did you know you can get a Kindle app on your iPhone or iPod Touch for free?
iPhone Kindle
You can read all the same ebooks that are available on Amazon's Kindle, but without the hefty price tag that comes with owning an actual Kindle. And that means that you can also get the Zodiac Kittens ebook on your iPhone through Kindle for iPhone. Hurray!

To celebrate, we've created a crochet pattern for an iPhone cozy. Don't worry, it's not as dorky as it sounds.
iPhone Cozy 1
We just love the look of old-timey needlework mixed with the new fangled smart phone. It's even got a window for the camera lens and all the connection ports!
iPhone Cozy 2
This pattern is a bit more advanced that patterns we typically post, but it works up quickly. Please leave a comment if you need help. Happy crocheting!

Finished Size: Fits standard iPhone or iPod Touch.

Skill Level: Advanced.

Materials:
#3 crochet thread
2.5mm steel crochet hook

Ch 16.

Row 1. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and ea sc across. 15 sc.

Row 2. Ch 4; turn. Sk first sc, tr in next 5 sc, ch 3, sk next 3 sc, tr in last 6 sc. 11 tr.

Row 3. Ch 1; turn. Sc in first 6 tr, 3 sc in ch-3 sp, sc in next 5 tr, sc in t-ch. 15 sc.

Row 4. Ch 2 (counts as dc for rows 4-23); turn. Sk first sc, dc in next 3 sc, ch 7, sk next 7 sc, dc in last 4 sc. 8 dc.

Row 5. Ch 1, sl st in end of row 3; turn. Sc in first 4 dc of row 4, 7 sc in ch-7 sp, sc in last 3 dc, sc in t-ch, sl st in end of row 3. 15 sc.

Row 6. Ch 1; turn. Sc in first 3 sc, *dc in next 3 sc, sc in next 3 sc; rep from * across. 9 sc and 6 dc.

Row 7. Ch 2; turn. Sl st in end of row 2, sk first sc of row 6, dc in next 2 sc, *sc in next 3 dc, dc in next 3 sc; rep from * across. Sl st in end of row 2. 8 dc and 6 sc.

Row 8. Turn. Sl st in end of row 1, sc in first 3 dc of row 7, *dc in next 3 sc, sc in next 3 dc; rep from * across. Sl st in end of row 1. 9 sc and 6 dc.

Row 9. Ch 2; turn. Sk first sc of row 8, dc in next 2 sc, *sc in next 3 dc, dc in next 3 sc; rep from * across. 9 dc and 3 sc.

Row 10. Ch 1; turn. Sc in first 3 dc, *dc in next 3 sc, sc in next 3 dc; rep from * across. 9 sc and 6 dc.

Row 11. Ch 2; turn. Sk first sc, dc in next 2 sc, *sc in next 3 dc, dc in next 3 sc; rep from * across. 9 dc and 6 sc.

Rows 12-21. Rep rows 10 & 11.

Row 22. Ch 1; turn. Sc in first dc, ch 2, sk next 2 dc, *dc in next 3 sc, sc in next 3 dc; rep from * across. 7 sc and 6 dc.

Row 23. Ch 2; turn. Dc in first 3 sc, sc in next 3 dc, dc in next 3 sc, sc in next 3 dc, 2 dc in ch-2 sp, dc in last sc. 9 dc and 6 sc.

Row 24. Ch 1; turn. Sc in ea st across. 15 sc.

Row 25. Ch 3; turn. Sl st in end of row 22, sk first sc of row 24, dc in next 2 sc, ch 2, sk next 2 sc, dc in next 5 sc, ch 2, sk next 2 sc, dc in last 3 sc, sl st in end of row 22. 10 dc.

Row 26. Sl st in end of row 21; turn. Sc in first 3 dc of row 25, 2 sc in ch-2 sp, sc in next 5 dc, 2 sc in next ch-2 sp, sc in last 2 dc, sc in t-ch, sl st in end of row 21. 15 sc.

Row 27. Ch 1; turn. Sc in ea sc across row 26.

Row 28. Ch 2; turn. Sl st in end of row 19, sk first sc of row 27, dc in next 5 sc, ch 3, sk next 3 sc, dc in last 6 sc. 11 dc.

Row 29. Ch 1; turn. Sc in first 6 dc of row 28, 3 sc in ch-3 sp, sc in last 5 dc, sc in t-ch. Rotate and work 15 sc evenly down end of rows. 30 sc.

Row 30. Ch 2, join with sl st in row 1; turn. Sk first sc, dc in next 14 sc, sk next 2 sc, sl st in next sc; leave rem sc unworked. 14 dc.

Row 31. Turn. Sc in ea dc across, sc in t-ch, sl st in row 1, sl st evenly across row 1 to opposite side, then rotate and work 12 sc evenly up to end of row 18, ch 3, 3 sl st in row 29. 27 sc.

Row 32. Turn. 3 dc in ch-3 sp, dc in next 12 sc, sl st in row 1. 15 dc.

Row 33. Turn. Sc in ea dc across. Join with sl st in row 29. Finish off.

46 comments:

  1. I am sneaky. I have a part English iTunes account so downloaded Kindle to my Touch. Now I will work out a way of getting myself that book of yours. HA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Congratulations on the iPhone pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great!! Yesterday I was searching for a pattern just like this and was dreading having to come up with my own pattern haha! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a great iPhone cozy pattern, but because I used a worsted weight yarn, it protects, but doesn't allow me to use it without removing it from it's cozy... and besides, I can't hear the muffled ring when it's in my purse.

    In other words... thanks for this, I'm going to try it immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is also a Stanza application for reading on the Iphone as well. It is what I use all the time. I do need to make a cozy for mine, I've been carrying it naked in my purse pocket and I am afraid that it will get scratched up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone have a knitted version of this pattern? My friend has been bugging me to knit him one, but with a flag to protect the screen...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure. We'd create one if The Animator's Wife knew how to knit. ~_^ I'm sure you could find what you're looking for on Google or Ravelry though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I want to buy one of these... I don't know how to crochet... Do you sell them anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Taya--I'd be happy to make one for you! I would charge $18 plus $3 shipping (a little more if you're outside the US). If you're interested, send an email to etsy@crochetkitten.com and I'll set up a reserve listing for you. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is kind of hard...would you mind making a video? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Tammy! This pattern IS a bit more complicated than the patterns we usually post. Which part are you having trouble with?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I'm just not so good at reading the difficult types of instruction. So I just wanted to see how to make it because it's a lot easier with pictures or videos. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let me see what I can do. It might take a while though--tutorials are a lot of work and we already have a lot of projects on deck right now. ~_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave.com in the Handcraft category today [03 Mar 01:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you make a droid eris pattern for me? I'm gonna try to modify the ipod one, lets see how i do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm, I don't think we can do a decent Droid Eris pattern without having the phone to test it on. If you're going to try modifying this one, just take it one row at a time, and try it on the phone after each row. That's how we put this one together. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to adapt this to an iPad. Should be simple, huh? lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. what is an SK in row 2?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello mum2abc! "Sk" stands for "skip," so don't work those stitches. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. im such a noobie what does sk mean? and is tr triple crochet?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Matthew! No problem. "sk" means "skip," as in don't work that stitch! And "tr" is "treble crochet." :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been trying to make this. It was very loose the first time so I remade it much tighter and its a struggle but it fits on there now. The only problem I had was the left side starting with row 31. The three slipstiches into row 29 threw me off. Then the three dc in the 3ch space. It seemed like the first time I did this the area looked very bulky like I had too many stiches there. I followed the directions but I am obviously messing something up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. sorry but can you explain row 3 to me in long hand?
    '3 sc in ch-3 sp' has me confused!
    or.. is there anywhere that has a key to your shorthand?

    ReplyDelete
  24. i take that back! worked it out and its compleated! loved it =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. In Ch 5, I'm having trouble figuring out where to go exactly with the slip stitch and what to do afterwards. My brain isn't completely wrapping around it :/ It doesn't make sense that I'm going to be doing stitches again in the same place. It seems like it would just make the stitches thicker. I'm fairly new to this crochet business though, so that's probably the problem. Help, please! :) I really want to make this case.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous - you're making the sl st in the edge of row 3. I know it doesn't make sense now, but it will as you continue the pattern. The purpose is to have that bottom portion curl up and hug the bottom of the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  27. AnonymousJune 19, 2011

    You do have a video on how to make this? I get confuse on Row 5 too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. AnonymousJune 20, 2011

    Can you please make a video on how to do this? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just AskingJune 20, 2011

    I have a worsted medium (4) yarn and the smallest crochet hook I have is F. Will that work and how would you edit the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wowzers! Suddenly there's a lot of interest in this pattern...

    Let me see if I can get to the video this weekend. I'm also going to try to post an update on the blog on what's been going on around here lately that keeps us from blogging and creating new patterns and such. :P

    Just Asking - worsted weight is much too thick to work for this pattern. The F hook MIGHT work, but I suspect it might make the cover too loose for a good fit. I would suggest trying to find a smaller hook, and if you can't find crochet thread, you can use Paton's Grace or sock yarn. Most craft stores have some inexpensive varieties available now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just AskingJune 21, 2011

    Thank you. I will do that.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Do you have a video of this tutorial? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi everyone,

    Unfortunately the video tutorial is going to have to wait for some time. The Animator's Wife's father had both a stroke and a cardiac episode this week and ended up in the hospital. Additionally, she just came to the realization that her OB/GYN is incompetent and is now scrambling to find a new doctor and birthing plan with less than 8 weeks to go in her pregnancy. So medical things have to take priority. Please feel free to remind us again in September though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. hi. do you have a video for this.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am attempting this and am totally confused with the slip stitches at the side and turning to continue can anyone who has already made this try to explain? Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  36. Where can I find a 2.5 mm crochet hook? I have just about every other size, but the 2.55mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 2.5mm is sometimes classified as a size C and sometimes as a steel crochet hook (the tiny ones used for working with thread). If you can't find any Cs or steel hooks in your craft store (or if the size C they're selling is 2.75mm), you can order a 2.5mm here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Crochet-Lite-Hooks-Size-2-5mm/dp/B000SKOS1O/

      Delete
  37. I'm trying to make the cozy for Christmas for my friend. I get to row 5, then I'm lost and confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people have trouble with that part. Basically you're folding it over and slip stitching in the side to make a pocket to wrap around the bottom of the phone.

      Delete
  38. I finally found and ordered a 2.5mm crochet hook. Ripped out and started over again. I think I have it figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi! Great pattern! I can't wait to try it. I found a 2.55mm hook--do you think that will be okay?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Lovely covers. I must try it to make one for my iphone just like these. Thanks for sharing. en ucuz iphone

    ReplyDelete
  41. How would I go about making this to fit on the iPhone 5S....can it fit iPhone 5S? Thanks. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tested this on an iPhone 5 yet, but I suspect if you increase the number of repeats for rows 10 & 11, that would probably do the trick. I would recommend trying it on after each row when you get up to that point and adjust as needed. Let me know if you try it and what the results are. :)

      Delete
  42. Looks awesome. Can you please post a tutorial for the Windows phone 1020 and the Kindle Fire HDX. Thank You. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to, but I don't have either one of those devices so I wouldn't have a model for reference. We're a one-person operation here, so our design capabilities are limited. :)

      Delete