Crazy Daisies

Before I say anything else, I would first like to thank Jennifer Salaz for her donation to our walk! Please give your kitty Henry a big hug from us and our best wishes for a full recovery. If anyone else would like to donate, you can do so here before May 9th. Remember, any donation qualifies you for 15% off your next purchase from our Etsy shop!

Now on with today's business. The Animator's Wife has decided to take a break from the vintage kitten pattern. The loop stitch is starting to irritate her fingers, and so far the progress has been... interesting. In fact, it's rather starting to look like an inch worm.

Vintage Crochet Kitten 2

So she decided to take a break and move on to this lovely little number.

Daisy Cover-Up 1

However, this pattern had her stumped before she even got past the materials list! 4 ounces of yarn? Check. Size 4 crochet hook? Got it. One Crazy Daisy Winder, 2 inches in diameter? What? What the heck is a Crazy Daisy Winder?

After doing a little research, we discovered that the Crazy Daisy Winder is a hand-held loom that was popular in the 40s and 50s. The idea is you use the loom to make the daisies, and then crochet the daisies together. The Animator's Wife was immediately intrigued by this new (to her) crochet technique, and was actually able to find a vintage Crazy Daisy Winder on Ebay.

Crazy Daisy Winder

Ooh la la--and it still works, too! The winder has twelve little spokes that spring out of the edges to wind the yarn around...

Crazy Daisy 1

...and voila! You have a daisy!

Crazy Daisy 2

Well, she better get to winding, because the Daisy Cover Up pattern requires 104 daisies. Luckily the Crazy Daisy Winder advertises that it "cuts crochet time in half!"

5 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for the reminder! I was going to donate but, forgive me, it was swept away from the flake that passes as a brain with me. I added $20 to your total.

    Good luck with the walk, and I continue to have Crochet Kitten as one of my favourite blog pages.

    PS Very VERY good luck making 104 daisies. I bet the result is sensational though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU Marjorie! It always amazes me how much you do to help animals. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy daisy! Heh. I'll be interested to see how it goes. I just embarked on a Hairpin lace exploration, meself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, I have been looking for patterns for this. My Mother had given me one of those, she had forgotten how to use it. So I am going to get busy and try and make this myself. Thank you so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sell them now under the name "Knitwit" for about $20 online. LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete