Yarn is NOT a Cat Toy
After hiding myself safely under the bed, I realized the situation could have been much worse. The yarn could have tightened around my chest or throat and choked me. I was actually fairly lucky. And that is not the only way yarn can harm an innocent kitty. The Dog We Don’t Like to Mention, who goes with The Animator’s Wife every day to her day job at an emergency veterinary hospital, tells me horror stories of kitties that have eaten yarn. Either it doesn’t pass through their digestive system or it becomes entangled in their intestines, and has to be surgically removed!
So I think it’s important for all crocheters to know how to keep their kitties safe around their craft. Here are my tips on how to do so:
- Never let Kitty play with yarn unsupervised, and especially don’t let her eat it.
- Never leave yarn lying around where Kitty can get into it while home alone.
- If you like to crochet toys or other things for your kitty, make sure all loose ends are woven in and well secured.
- If you know your kitty has an affinity for eating yarn and string, crocheted gifts may not be the best things for her.
- If your kitty starts vomiting or stops eating and you suspect she has eaten some yarn, get her to the vet right away!
- If you notice yarn protruding from your kitty’s rectum, don’t pull it! You can cause internal damage. Again, get her to the vet right away.
Please crochet responsibly.
Mewsed by Stacy Vaka