Quahog Shells in Jute

Over the weekend The Animator’s Wife brought home the most amazing material I have ever laid my paws on. I don’t think it’s yarn, although it’s spun and spooled in a similar fashion. No, this stuff is something called jute twine.

The Animator’s Wife seemed to have mixed feelings about it. She was obviously ecstatic about the project she was making with it, but she did not seemed too thrilled about the texture. I guess it was a bit too rough for her soft hands. I, however, thought the texture was just wonderful! I’m dreaming now of a scratching post made of it, all in single crochet, running my claws down it...

But I digress. The Animator’s Wife was using it to make a summer beach bag. The twine is actually the perfect medium to give the bag a straw-like appearance:
Twine Panel
The openwork pattern is a string network that she modified with shells. It worked up amazingly quickly. Would you like to try it? We’re calling it “Quahog Shells.”
Quahog Shells
Quahog Shells in Jute
Starting Chain: Multiple of 8 ch plus 10.

Row 1. Dc in 10th ch from hook and next 4 ch (first 6 ch count as 1 dc and 1 ch-3 sp), *ch 3, skip next 3 ch, dc in next 5 ch; rep from * across to last 4 ch. Ch 3, skip next 3 ch, dc in last ch.

Row 2. Ch 1; turn. Sc in 1st dc, *ch 3, skip next ch-3 sp, sc in next dc, ch 3, skip next 3 dc, sc in next dc; rep from * across to last ch-3 sp. Ch 3, sc in 4th ch of turning chain.

Row 3. Ch 6 (counts as 1 dc and 3 ch), skip 1st ch-3 sp, *5 dc in next ch-3 sp, ch 3, skip next ch-3 sp; rep from * across to last sc. Dc in last sc.

Rep rows 2 & 3.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Selena,
    I am so happy you joined out KAL-CAL. I thought your quahogs pattern deserved a shout-out as it is so so perfect perfect perfect for a beach bag ha I imenioned it on my show in episode #2. I can't wait to see what bag you come up with for the KAL-CAL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thanks for the shout-out--I'm glad you liked it so much! I can't wait to hear your podcast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a groovy pattern girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 15, 2007

    Hi Selena, you look really cute. Give me a call if you ever get to the UK. My name is Seth and I'm sort of the Johnny Depp of cats, if you know what I mean.

    I can't post a photo because Chief Worshipper (with whom I share a home) can't work the digital camera.

    The reason I have a Chief Worshipper (CW for short) is that I am actually a direct descendant of the cats worshipped by the Ancient Egyptians. Although in this incarnation I appeared as a stray black kitten looking for a home, anyone looking at me should be able to identify me by my appearance and lordly demeanor.

    Well, CW does, but I'm afraid her assistants (aka family) sometimes refer to me as a 'moggy', which is English talk for a (gasp) mongrel cat.

    CW knits rather than crochets, and I sometimes deign to play with her wool. Otherwise I sit on the highest available surface and look superior.

    Last night I slept on her knitting bag and she tried to move me. Of course, I refused; she was lucky - my ancestors would have had her sent to labour in the pyramids for such disrespect.

    All the best, Selena, and do keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    I am new to the world of crochet. I was wondering what would be a good first time project. And can you crochet with any type of yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Riza, and welcome to the world of crochet!

    Honestly, most people start with scarves for their first time project. They are quick, easy, and allow to practice just a couple of stitches over and over until you know them perfectly. Scarves are also good for practicing turning at the end of the row.

    And yes, once you feel comfortable you can crochet with ANY type of yarn you want. Some yarns are harder to work with, like fun fur or boucle yarns, since the stitches are hard to see with these yarns. The best yarn to start out with is regular ol' worsted weight.

    Hope that helps! Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Selena, nice your work and thanks for share it.
    Elena from Lima, Peru

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be a Rhode Islander, if you made it with Quahog shells! Jute is tough on the hands, but man, it makes some nice placemats and hot pads for the table.

    Greetings from Coventry, RI
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, we live near Washington, DC, but The Animator has family in Rhode Island. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. When working with the jute, try wearing a pair of white cotton dress gloves. You know the kind our mothers or grandmothers wore for church or high tea. You'll want a fairly tight fitting pair.

    ReplyDelete